FLSA Status: Exempt.
• Prepare lessons plans and establish evaluation techniques for assessment of progress
• Maintain accurate and timely records of student progress
• Ability to create a classroom environment where students feel safe, supported, engaged, and academically challenged
• Engage students, ranging from age 3 to 21, in a process that includes group-building activities, brainstorming, improvisation, script writing, rehearsal, and performance skills to create an original story and develop theater skills in accordance with the NYS Individual Arts Assessment Pathway.
• Engage students, ranging from age 3 to 21, in a process that includes group-building activities, brainstorming, improvisation, choreography, rehearsal, and dance skills to create an original performance.
• Ability to work effectively with a wide range of students and be able to use differentiated instruction
• Growth mindset and ability to use feedback to improve practice • Ability to use technology effectively to support instruction including Google Drive, PowerSchool, and Schoology
• Use adequate planning, organizational, and interpersonal skills
• Provide positive behavior intervention with support
• Incorporates high standard of professional ethics: model the qualities of fairness, equity, integrity, and honesty in professional dealings with others
Required Skills/ Abilities:
• Experience working with deaf students
• American Sign Language (ASL) proficiency
• Prior knowledge of Thinking Maps
• Compassionate and Passionate; Results-driven and goal-oriented
• Excellent classroom management skills. Provide positive behavior intervention with support
• Effective interpersonal communication skills with colleagues, parents, and students
Education and Experience:
• New York State Certification-Deaf Education or Special Education • New York State Certification in Theater Education and Performing Arts
• Knowledge of Theater Arts, and Performing Arts including Dance
• Master’s degree
• Required clearances include medical clearance, fingerprinted by the NYC Department of Education and SCR and SEL clearance.
• Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.
• Must be able to lift 15 pounds at times. Available: ● January 2023
Available: January 2023
Deadline: Until filled
For more information,
Contact: Human Resources, 718.350.3028
Email Resume to: Restrada@lexny.org
(Please indicate Theater/Arts Teacher on the subject line)