Mission Statements & Basic Tenets
Mission Statement & Basic Tenets
The Lexington School and Center for the Deaf seeks to be an exemplary education, service, and research institution for the deaf and hard of hearing in metropolitan New York City, New Jersey, and the nation. We seek to collaborate with the deaf and hard of hearing to realize their full potential in both the deaf and hard of hearing worlds; and take a leading position in concert with the deaf and hard of hearing communities in articulating the multifaceted challenges, opportunities, and needs for services of the deaf and hard of hearing.
- Human Dignity
- All staff, students and family members treat others with, and expect to be treated with dignity and respect.
- There is a commitment to "enabling" as opposed to "serving" deaf persons, their families and staff working with them.
- There is a commitment to recognizing, respecting and promoting the positive elements of linguistic, racial and ethnic diversity of the students, their families, staff and the community at large.
- Teaching and Learning
- Every individual posses the capacity to think and learn.
- We value the love of learning and seek to promote it.
- Lexington School is a community for learning and seek to promote it.
-There is a consistent commitment to staff development and to the creation of community of learners.
- There is a commitment to motivating students and staff to realize their potential.
- We consistently strive to achieve more than we have in the past.
- There is a commitment to program development, innovation, implementation and consistency, and the provision of resources to achieve our objectives.
- There is a commitment to conducting relevant research and training involving staff and other professionals for the improvement of the program and to the disseminating of findings.
- Each of us is an effective representative of the School.
- There is a commitment to providing leadership to other professionals.
- Working Together
- There is a commitment to collaboration among all members of the Lexington community.
- Decisions are based on collegiate interactions and collaboration where possible.
- There is a commitment to ongoing evaluation of program, decisions and staff- and to the sharing of findings- for the betterment of the program.
Lexington School for the Deaf Foundation
The mission of Lexington School for the Deaf Foundation is to support the programs and activities conducted by Lexington School for the Deaf and its affiliates.